- Columbus College, Columbus, GA – Master’s degree, Justice Administration (1993)
- University of Washington, WA – Bachelor’s degree, History (1982)
Specialized Training Courses
- Georgia Public Safety Training Center SWAT Certification Course, 02/05/1993
- U.S. Army Military Police School SWAT Training Course, 02/26/1993
- Georgia Public Safety Training Center SWAT Submachine Gun Course, 05/12/1993
- Georgia Public Safety Training Center Police Tactical Rifle Course, 03/11/1994
- Georgia Public Safety Training Center Shotgun Skills Course, 08/03/1994
- Georgia Public Safety Training Center VIP Executive Protection Course, 06/30/1993
- Georgia Public Safety Training Center Criminal Procedures Course, 04/10/1992
- Advanced Interviews & Interrogations I, Columbus College, 12/11/1992
- Advanced Interviews & Interrogations II, Columbus College, 09/03/1993
- Pierce County Center for Dispute Resolution Mediation Training Course, 07/24/1998
Professor (tenured), Criminal Justice Program, Centralia College, Centralia, WA – 09/99–present
- Designs, develops, and instructs undergraduate courses to students seeking an Associate of Applied Science degree in Criminal Justice.
Senior Lecturer, Brandman University, Lacey, WA – 08/10–12/16
- Instructs criminal justice courses to undergraduate students at Brandman University, (Chapman University System, CA).
International Police Trainer, MPRI / Engility, Inc., Kabul, Afghanistan – 11/08–12/09
- NATO Liaison and Senior Mentor to Afghan National Police Academy commanding general. Advises commander on all aspects of academy operations. Directly responsible for 50 million-dollar academy budget. Collaborates with NATO and the Ministry of Interior to develop Afghan National Police policy and procedure manual.
International Police Trainer, MPRI/ Engility, Inc., Baghdad & Basra, Iraq – 05/05–06/06
- Supervises instruction of 500 Iraqi police cadets as the United Kingdom’s Deputy Director at Basrah Training College. Designs and develops Baghdad Police College curriculum.
Expert Witness & Private Investigator, Gilbertson Investigations, Olympia, WA – 08/02–present
- Private investigation agency specializing in expert witness testimony: police use of excessive force, false arrest, and self-defense casework.
Senior Lecturer, Saint Martin’s University, Lacey, WA – 05/97–11/08
- Senior instructor, Criminal Justice Department, Joint Base Lewis-McChord extension campus.
Guardian ad Litem, Pierce County Superior Court, Tacoma, WA – 09/97–09/99
- Conducts investigations into allegations of misconduct and child abuse made during dissolution and child custody proceedings for the Pierce County Superior Court.
Security Officer, Kent & White River School District(s), Kent & Buckley, WA – 08/96–08/99
- Develops and manages a school district security program. Investigates criminal acts committed on district property. Investigates student complaints against faculty and staff.
Senior Patrolman & SWAT Officer, LaGrange Police Department, LaGrange, GA – 02/91–04/96
- Completes approximately 1,000 hours of police / SWAT training, and operational experience. Superior Court Investigator, Senior Patrolman. Serves as a juvenile court investigator, school resource officer, stakeout squad officer, and senior police patrolman.
Police Officer, Atlanta Police Department, Atlanta, GA – 08/88–02/91
- Primary law enforcement on street-level crime, narcotics enforcement, and domestic violence intervention with major metropolitan law enforcement agency.
Enlisted Soldier & Commissioned Officer, United States Army – 05/1983 – 06/1988
- Distinguished Military Graduate, U.S. Army Officer Candidate School, Class 501-86
- Received numerous awards, decorations, and General Officer Letter’s of Commendation
- U.S. Army Basic Training, Airborne School, Infantry Officer Basic Course, & Bradley Fighting Vehicle Commander Course
Areas of Expertise
- Police Practices
- Use of Force
- False Arrest
- Criminal Defense
- Self Defense
- Confidential Client Concerns