The CEO and Agency Principal of Gilbertson Investigations is Professor Gregory Gilbertson. Greg is a tenured criminal justice professor at a Washington State community college with 24 years of college and university teaching experience. He is also a licensed private investigator and former police officer with 26 years of criminal justice experience.
As an expert witness, Greg has consulted with attorneys on over 100 civil rights and criminal defense cases in 18 states. He also served two years as a Subject Matter Expert and International Police Trainer for the U.S. Department of Justice and U.S. Department of Defense in Iraq and Afghanistan.
In Iraq he served as a Curriculum Developer for the Baghdad Police College, and later as Deputy Director of the Basrah Training Academy. In Afghanistan Greg served as a Police Policy Developer, Mentor, and NATO Liaison to the the Commander of the Afghan National Police Academy.
Prior to entering law enforcement, Greg served in the U.S. Army as an infantry soldier and commissioned officer. He received his commission from the U.S. Army Officer Candidate School; a Distinguished Military Graduate of Class 501-86 at Fort Benning, Georgia.
After his military service, Greg became a police officer in Atlanta and LaGrange, Georgia. In Atlanta he served as a police patrolman in Zone 3 Precinct. In LaGrange he served as a SWAT Team officer, juvenile investigator, senior patrolman, school resource officer, and stakeout squad member. Advanced osteo-arthritis and two major surgeries prematurely ended Greg’s law enforcement career.
- Master’s of Science, Justice Administration, Columbus College, Columbus, GA
- Bachelor of Arts, History, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- Atlanta Police Academy, Georgia Peace Officer Certification
- SWAT Officer Certification, Georgia Public Safety Training Center
- SWAT Officer Certification, U.S. Army Military Police School
- SWAT Submachine Gun, Georgia Public Safety Training Center
- Police Tactical Rifle, Georgia Public Safety Training Center
- Police Tactical Shotgun, Georgia Public Safety Training Center
- VIP Executive Protection, Georgia Public Safety Training Center
- Criminal Procedures, Georgia Public Safety Training Center
- Interviews & Interrogations, D. Glenn Foster & Associates, Columbus College
- Mediation & Dispute Resolution, Pierce County Center for Dispute Resolution
PROFESSOR (tenured), Criminal Justice Program, Centralia College, Centralia, WA 09/1999–present
- Designed, developed, and managed instruction of criminal justice program at a Washington State community college. Authored and developed 20 criminal justice and criminal investigations courses. Centralia College rated in the “Top Ten” of all online criminal justice degrees nationwide in 2018 by BestColleges.com.
ADJUNCT PROFESSOR, Criminal Justice, Brandman University, Lacey, WA 08/2010 – 12/2016
- Instructed a wide variety of criminal justice courses to Bachelor’s degree seeking students at Brandman University, a division of the Chapman University System (CA).
INTERNATIONAL POLICE TRAINER, Kabul, Afghanistan (MPRI/Engility Inc.) 11/2008–12/2009
- Senior Mentor and NATO Liaison to commanding general of Afghan National Police Academy. Advised commander on all aspects of academy operations. Directly responsible for 50 million dollars in academy renovations. Collaborated with NATO and the Ministry of Interior in developing policy and doctrine manual for Afghan National Police.
EXPERT WITNESS & PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR, Gilbertson Investigations, Olympia, WA 08/2002–present
- CEO and Agency Principal of private investigations agency specializing in expert witness casework involving police use of force, false arrest, criminal defense, and self defense casework.
SENIOR LECTURER, Saint Martin’s University, Lacey, WA 05/1997–11/2008
- Served as senior lecturer of criminal justice for a private, faith-based university with extension campuses at Joint Base Lewis-McChord for 11 years.
INTERNATIONAL POLICE TRAINER, Baghdad & Basrah, Iraq (MPRI/Engility Inc.) 05/2005–06/2006
- Supervised instruction of 500 Iraqi police cadets as Deputy Director of United Kingdom’s Basrah Training Academy by trainers from the United Kingdom and United States. Designed and developed curriculum in democratic policing for the Baghdad Police College.
DISTRICT SECURITY OFFICER, Kent & White River School District(s), Kent & Buckley, WA 08/1996–08/1999
- Developed and managed a school district security program. Investigated criminal acts committed on district property. Investigated student complaints against faculty and staff.
GUARDIAN AD LITEM/PARENTING INVESTIGATOR, Pierce County Superior Court, Tacoma, WA 09/1997–09/1999
- Conducted wide ranging investigations into allegations of misconduct and child abuse made during marriage dissolutions and child custody proceedings for the Pierce County Superior Court.
SENIOR POLICE OFFICER, SWAT Officer, Juvenile Investigator, LaGrange Police Department, GA 02/1991–04/1996
- Completed approximately 1000 hours of police training, SWAT training, and operational experience. Also served as juvenile court investigator, school resource officer, stakeout squad officer, and senior police patrolman.
POLICE OFFICER, Atlanta Police Department, Atlanta, GA 08/1988–02/1991
- Primary law enforcement focus was street-level crime, narcotics enforcement, and domestic violence intervention with major metropolitan law enforcement agency.