PROFESSOR GREGORY GILBERTSON (Ret.)
AREAS of EXPERTISE
Police Practices | Use of Force | False Arrest | Criminal Defense
ASSOCIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
International Association of Chiefs of Police | Police Executive Research Forum | Academy of Criminal Justice Science
Washington Association of Legal Investigators
EXPERT WITNESS EXPERIENCE
Professor Gregory Gilbertson (tenured) (Ret.) instructed criminal justice course for colleges and universities for 25 years. Concurrently, he worked as international police advisor (Iraq & Afghanistan), private investigator, Guardian ad Litem, and expert witness. He has consulted on 164 cases in 29 states. He has testified in several state and U.S. District Courts. His analysis has helped secure over 16 million dollars in settlements, judgements, and felony acquittals at trial.
- Columbus College, Columbus, GA – Master of Science, Justice Administration
- University of Washington, WA – Bachelor of Arts, History
- Atlanta Police Academy – 720-hour Basic Law Enforcement Certification
- Georgia Public Safety Training Center – SWAT Certification Course
- S. Army Military Police School – SWAT Training Course
- Georgia Public Safety Training Center – SWAT Sub-machine Gun Course
- Georgia Public Safety Training Center – Police Tactical Rifle Course
- Georgia Public Safety Training Center – Shotgun Skills Course
- Georgia Public Safety Training Center – VIP Executive Protection Course
- Georgia Public Safety Training Center – Criminal Procedures Course
- Advanced Interviews & Interrogations I – Columbus College
- Advanced Interviews & Interrogations II – Columbus College
- Basic Mediation Training Course – Pierce County Center for Dispute Resolution
- Guardian ad Litem Training Course – Pierce County Superior Court
Expert Witness & Private Investigator, Gilbertson Investigations Inc. 08/02 – Present
- Began consulting with civil rights and criminal defense attorneys as a police practices and use of force expert in 2013. Previously conducted pre-trial investigations for Washington State criminal defense attorneys from 2002–2013.
Professor of Criminal Justice (tenured), Centralia College, Centralia, WA 09/99 – 03/22
- Instructed criminal justice courses to degree seeking students at a Washington State community college. Also designed and developed curriculum and advised students.
Senior Lecturer, Brandman University (U-Mass Global), Lacey, WA 08/10 – 12/16
- Instructed a variety of criminal justice courses to bachelor’s degree seeking students.
International Police Advisor – MPRI / L3 Communications, Afghanistan 11/08 – 12/09
- Police policy developer for the Afghanistan Ministry of Interior. Also served as Senior Mentor and NATO Liaison to commanding general of the Afghan National Police Academy. Advised academy commander on all aspects of academy operations for 3000 cadets, faculty, and staff.
International Police Advisor – MPRI / L3 Communications, Iraq 05/05 – 06/06
- Served as Curriculum Specialist for the Iraqi National Police and Baghdad Police College. Also served as deputy director of the United Kingdom’s Basrah Police Academy.
Senior Lecturer, Saint Martin’s University, Lacey, WA 05/97–11/08
- Instructed a wide variety of criminal justice courses to bachelor’s degree seeking students.
Guardian ad Litem, Pierce County Superior Court, Tacoma, WA 09/97 – 09/99
- Conducted investigations into allegations of parental misconduct made during child custody proceedings for the Pierce County Superior Court.
Security Officer, Kent & White River School Districts, Kent & Buckley, WA 08/96 – 08/99
- Served three years as a district security officer for the Kent and White River school districts.
Senior Patrolman & SWAT Officer, LaGrange Police Dept. LaGrange, GA 02/91 – 04/96
- Completed 1,000 hours of advanced police and SWAT tactical training. Also served as a senior patrolman, school resource officer, juvenile court investigator, and stakeout squad officer.
Police Officer, Atlanta Police Department, Atlanta, GA 08/88 – 02/91
- Served as a police officer in Atlanta’s Zone 3 Precinct. My primary law enforcement focus was street-level crime, narcotics enforcement, and domestic violence intervention.
Infantry Soldier and Commissioned Officer (1st Lieutenant), U.S. Army 05/83 – 06/88
- Served as both an enlisted soldier and infantry commissioned officer. Recognized as a Distinguished Military Graduate of the U.S. Army Officer Candidate School. Received awards, decorations, and General Officer letters of commendation during five years of service.
“Professor Gilbertson’s comprehensive knowledge and incisive analyses sets a high standard for expert testimony in police practices. His credentials are impeccable, and knowledge of police procedures, use of force, de-escalation techniques, and crisis intervention is very high. Notably, his expertise has been acknowledged and recognized by the federal court.
Professor Gilbertson’s contributions to my cases have been invaluable. His keen ability to analyze and deconstruct complex situations, particularly regarding the reasonable application of force, has consistently offered pivotal insights. His perceptive commentary on police training and policy, coupled with his application of the Graham v. Connor standard, has been instrumental in shedding light on the nuances of use of force.
Professor Gilbertson demonstrates an unwavering commitment to clarity and precision. His lucid explanations and articulate presentation skills makes the complex and contentious topics of police use of force easily understandable to attorneys and the layman alike. He possesses the remarkable ability to distill complicated legal and tactical concepts into comprehensible language without compromising depth or accuracy.
Professor Gilbertson is a quintessential expert witness. His prowess in analysis, communication, and professionalism significantly enhance any legal team. For anyone seeking an expert witness who combines intellectual rigor with impeccable character, I wholeheartedly recommend Professor Gilbertson.”
Angus Lee, Former District Attorney and Civil Rights Lawyer, Vancouver, WA / www.angusleelaw.com